Friday, November 17, 2006

Weekly recipe

This title may turn out to be rather misleading. I have been going back and forth with the idea of posting recipes regularly. You see, I am somewhat secretive with my cooking. I won't even give them up to my wife. This secracy is further enforced by the fact that I never really use recipes and can't actually recall what goes into the fare I produce until I am actually in the act. As a result, I don't really have exact measurements and often forget to include items when I try to remember and write them down.
However, this is one that I pinched from a cooking show anyhow, so I figured, what's the harm. Fortunately, my wife was able to get a picture before it was devoured hastily. (A rare occurance in our household.) So here it is. It is amizingly simple and very delicious. I hope you enjoy.


To start, get a large pot going on meduim heat as you chop one, large yellow onion. One of those grapefruit sized ones. Rough chop and, by this time the pan should be hot, add a healthy amount of olive oil (for this site and for all of my cooking, I use extra virgin olive oil. That is a lot to type over and over again though so I will just type olive oil, or sometimes even just OO and you should assume extra virgin.) Enough to cover the entire bottom of the pot. Throw in the onions and chop a good amount of garlic. This can be adjusted to your own taste for garlic. We both love garlic and consume quite a bit of it. I usually add three to five large cloves. Throw in the garlic and wash six to eight roma tomatoes. (If you can't find fresh romas, where do you live?? You should move.) Slice tomatoes in half and add to the pot. You need to move all the other stuff, onions and garlic, to the sides of the pot and place the tomatoes, cut side down, directly on the bottom of the pan. Damn! You see, I've done it already. When adding the onions and garlic, be sure to add some salt. Probably about a teaspoon or so. This will cause all of those lovely juices to exude and comingle. Fresh ground pepper also goes into just about everything I make, even the breakfast cereal. Getting back to it. Once the tomatoes are in there, wash some parsley and remove the stems, probably about a good handful will do it. Add the parsley whole to the top of what should now be a wonderfully sweet smelling pot. Add one whole cinnamon stick as well and let all of this just hang out together. At this time, you can prepare the fish. The recipe from the show suggests Monk fish, and typically I would dutifully oblige. However, the WF by our house does not stock it as the fishmonger has some aversion to it. We have been using Black Cod and it works fine. It is a little flakier than Monk but that is ok. Really any good whitefish will work. Anyway, approximately .75 lbs per person seems to work out well. Of course, we both have a fairly healthy apetite so you might be able to get away with .5 lbs per person. Begin heating a large sauce pan. Trim the fish if necessary and slice into medallions. The size is not really important. Just something that will allow for ease in cooking. Add a bit of OO to the pan. (I told you I would do it. Don't act so surprised.) Season the fish (more shorthand. That means salt and pepper.) and add to the pan. Cook until done on one side, approximately four to six minutes. Flip and go back to the pot, which should by now have filled your kitchen with the wonderful smell of cinnamon. Stir this mess thoroughly and try to break up as much of the tomato skins as possible and otherwise incorporate all of the ingredients. Once done, add this mix to the pan with the now finished fish. Done! If you like, and we usually do, prepare some pasta in the mean time and serve the fish over it, as represented in the picture. I have no suggestions on which pasta you should use. This is not, as you have probably guessed, a step by step, explain every detail type of recipe, nor will any future recipes be as much. I tend not to cook that way. Just do what makes you happy. It would probably work well with any pasta, though I would cation agains any long noddles. This is just my personal taste however. Cooking should be about fun and experimentation and doing what make sense to your own taste. Hope you enjoy. That is all for now.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home