Wednesday, November 29, 2006

It's not a quiche!


Time for another installment of our weekly recipe feature. I even surprise myself. (I know it is only two weeks in a row now but you have to take pride in the little things too.)

This is another, rather simple one. My perception of simple is a bit off however. I tend to stay away from any prepackaged or half 'home-made' crap and prepare everything from scratch. But there is nothing about this which is complicated or requires any special equipment. (you will notice that it has been cooked in a small sauce pan. This is by no means a requirement but as I don't bake much I simply do not have a pie pan. Yes it is on the list.)

This is a great breakfast idea however as it can be prepared ahead of time and travels well, for those who like to eat on the road. Start with a simple dough, just a single egg and about 3/4 to 1 cup of flour. Using the well method, combine the two. As they come together, add more flour until ingredients are loosely combined. It took me at least another 1/2 c of flour for the rolling process. Not rocket science though. If it is sticking, add more flour. Roll the dough to appropriate thickness, 1/4 inch? I don't know. Just until it looks right.

The filling consists of mostly Ricotta. In fact, this whole thing was just an excuse to use up some left over Ricotta from a failed lamb experiment last week, combined with some inspiration from Mario. Chop a couple of garlic cloves, a bit of white onion (red would certainly work as well) some parsley and whatever else makes you happy. I put some chili flakes and fresh thyme in there as well, mostly because it was there. Then I added some salami and bacon. I didn't cook the bacon first, and it was uncurred. I am still alive so it seems that cooking beforehand is unecessary. Salt and pepper to taste. Not too much salt as there is plenty in the meats. Oh yeah, add some parm reg as well. Mix these together. Then one egg and a handful of flour to bind. Once mixed, pour into the pastry shell which should by now be in a pie pan (or sauce pan if you like.) Top with a bit of Mozzarella and bake for 25-30 minutes at 400.

Garnish with a bit of freshly chopped parsley and serve warm or cold, as you like.

Quiche [keesh]
–noun
a pielike dish consisting of an unsweetened pastry shell filled with a custard and usually containing cheese and other ingredients, as vegetables, seafood, or ham: spinach quiche.
(thanks dictionary.com)

See, no custard, no veggies, not a quiche! Does sound good with some spinach though.

Cheers

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who are you trying to fool babycakes? Sure looks like a quiche to me! Was tasty, whatever it was. *Eee*

Fri Dec 01, 12:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home